EARLS FAMILY CHRONICLES© Christopher Earls Brennen
Appendix 3A. OTHER POSSIBLE FAMILY OF JAMES (1779-1882) AND SARAH EARLS
According to Anne Wilson who became Mrs. Crozier Phair (see Chapter 3) there were at least two other daughters of James (1779-1882) and Sarah Earls besides Mary Earls. Tradition has it that they emigrated to the United States. The following are known to be children of a James Earls, farmer, and it is a reasonable deduction that they too are children of James Earls (1779-1882) of Aughaward.
- Anne Earl(s) was born about 1800. She married William Elliott of Clay, County Fermanagh, which is just southwest from the town of Maguiresbridge, just southeast of Lisbellaw and just northwest of Lisnaskea. Their daughter
- Catherine Elliott was born in 1824 and was baptized in Lisnaskea Holy Trinity Church, County Fermanagh, on Oct.31, 1824. In 1842 in the Tempo Parish Church Catherine married John Granleese of Henrystughan which is just northeast of Lisnaskea and only about 5 miles from her parents home. Catherine's residence is given as Enniskillen and the witnesses were James Earles (presumably James Earls of Tempo (1819-1900) which suggests a family connection) and James ??. Catherine and John Granleese had about seven children. John died on May 6, 1896, at the age of 85; Catherine died on Oct.25, 1901, aged 76. They are buried in the Aghalurcher graveyard near Lisnaskea where their gravestone reads In loving memory of John Granleese of Henrystughan who d. 6 May, 1896, aged 85. Also his wife Catherine Granleese who d. 25th of Oct. 1901 aged 76 yrs. [Catherine was the 4x great grandmother of Stephen Lyons, email@example.com.]
- Sarah Jane Earls was born before 1826. Sarah, daughter of James Earls, farmer, married John Leadley, of full age, a bachelor and a labourer from Relagh, parish of Enniskillen (father: William Leadley, farmer) on Oct.18, 1847 in the Parish Church of Enniskillen. Sarah's residence is listed as Aughaward. Probable children of John and Sarah Leadley:
- John Leadley was born in 1878. He is listed as a 24-year-old farmer in the 1901 census at house #3, Gublusk, parish of Trory, County Fermanagh. John Leadley, a 27-year-old male from Fermanagh, arrived in New York on Apr.11, 1905, on board the "Astoria" from Londonderry. He came with Joseph Leadley, aged 20 (but see below). They are both laborers bound for Conesus and East Groveland, NY (just east of Warsaw, New York) and their cousin Thomas Leadley who paid their fares. In 1911 there are no Leadleys recorded in Gublusk.
- Maria Leadley, aged 16, farmer's sister (of John) is listed in the 1901 census at Gublusk, parish of Trory, Co Fermanagh
- Joseph Leadley was born in 1886. Aged 15, brother (of John), postman, is listed in the 1901 census at Gublusk, parish of Trory, Co Fermanagh.
- Jane Leadley, aged 13, scholar, is listed in the 1901 census at house #2, Gublusk, parish of Trory, Co Fermanagh, as boarder with Thomas and Eliza Greaves.
- Catherine Earls who married Thomas Ball, of full age, a widower and a thatcher from Aughaward (father: James Ball, farmer) on June 12, 1849, in the Registry Office, Enniskillen. Catherine's residence is listed as Waughtinerry and her father as James Earls, farmer. Probably the Thomas Ball (born 1812) who died in Mar. 1892 in Enniskillen, aged 80. On age grounds, possibly the Catherine Ball (born 1825) who died in Dec. 1889 in Enniskillen, aged 64.
- John Earls, full age, a widower and a farmer of ``Waternerry'' married Margaret Thompson, full age, of ``Drumcarrow'' whose father, Robert Thompson was a farmer, on Oct.25, 1849, in Monea Church, parish of Devenish. John Earls' father is listed as James Earls, a farmer. Then on Sep.1, 1853, John Earls, full age, a widower and a farmer of ``Waternerry'' married Margaret Campbell, full age, spinster, of Derryheghan whose father, Robert Campbell, was a farmer in the parish church of Enniskillen. Again the father of John Earls is listed as James Earls, a farmer.
- Isabella Earls was born about 1831 and married James Armstrong, of full age, a bachelor farmer from Carran(?), parish of Magheracross (father: Charles Armstrong, farmer) on Mar.13, 1851, in the Parish Church of Enniskillen. Isabella's residence is listed as Aughaward, her age as 20 and her father as James Earls, farmer. John Earls was a witness. All the family emigrated to Iowa, USA, though not at the same time. The emigration was begun by sons Charles and James about 1869 or 1870 but they all eventually went to Iowa. Lane Schwartz of Inver Grove Heights, Minnesota, USA,
provided the following genealogy for Isabella Earls of Aughaward: James and Isabella had at least nine children:
- Charles Armstrong was born in Ireland in 1849 and was one of the first members of the family to emigrate to Iowa. Possibly the Charles Armstrong, born in 1856 in Ireland, aged 24, single white male, farmer, living Lincoln, Cass, Iowa at 1880 census. Probably the Charles Armstrong, born in Jul.1849 in Ireland, aged 50, single, well digger, living Anita Town, Cass County, Iowa, in 1900. He had immigrated to the USA in 1867, was naturalized and owned his home freehold.
- James John Armstrong, born in 1853 in Ireland, was one of the first members of the family to emigrate to Iowa. James J. Armstrong, head, born in Jan. 1853 in Ireland, aged 47, farmer (owned farm, mortgaged) lived at Eureka, Adair County, Iowa in 1900, with his wife Maggie A. Armstrong, born in New York (father and mother born in Ireland), aged 42, and eight children of eleven originally born alive. He immigrated to the USA in 1869 and married in 1877. In 1910 James J. Armstrong, aged 56, and his wife Maggie, aged 54, have moved to Clear Creek, Vernon, Missouri. They had been married for 34 years and had 11 children with 7 still living. At the 1920 census they were still there: James aged 66 and Maggie 64. Three children still lived at home. Their children:
- Edwin W. Armstrong, born Feb.1878 in Iowa, engineer, aged 22 in 1900. In 1910, aged 31, he is living with his parents as a farmer.
- Lesslie Armstrong, born Jul. 1881 in Iowa, aged 18 in 1900. As Leslie, in 1910 he is living with his parents as a farmer.
- Zella Z. Armstrong, born Jul. 1885 in Iowa, at school, aged 14 in 1900 and 24 in 1910. Zella (indexed as Tilda) was 34 in 1920.
- Flora A. Armstrong, born Jan. 1890 in Iowa, at school, aged 10 in 1900 and 19 in 1910.
- Alverson E. Armstrong, born Mar. 1892 in Iowa, at school, aged 8 in 1900. As Elberson, given as aged 17 in 1910, farmer.
- Kate Armstrong, born Jun. 1894 in Iowa, at school, aged 5 in 1900 and 15 in 1910. Listed in 1920 as Kathleen, aged 23.
- Gladys V. Armstrong, born Mar. 1897 in Iowa, aged 3 in 1900 and 13 in 1910. Aged 21 in 1920 census.
- female Armstrong, born Feb. 1900 in Iowa, aged three months at 1900 census. Not shown in 1910.
- William Henry Armstrong was born in May 1856 in Ireland. In the 1900 US Census he is listed as aged 44, farmer owing farm on mortgage, living in Eureka Township, Adair County, Iowa, next door to his brother, with his wife Minnie E. Armstrong, born Mar.1867, Illinois, aged 33, and six children of eight born to them. They were married in 1886. In 1910 William was 53 and Minnie 43; they had five children still living at home, and he still had a mortgage. This census says that William immigrated in 1874 and that Minnie had had 13 children 6 (?) still living. In 1920 William H. Armstrong, aged 62, lived at Franklin, Cass County, Iowa, with his wife Minnie, aged 52, and 3 grown-up children.
- Mina B. Armstrong, born Jan.1887 in Iowa, at school, aged 13 in 1900.
- Lynn F. Armstrong (male), born Feb.1892 in Iowa, at school, aged 8 in 1900 and 18, laborer, in 1910
- Wayne A. Armstrong, born Jan.1894 in Iowa, at school, aged 6 in 1900 and 16 in 1910. As Archie Armstrong, living with parents in 1920, aged 26.
- Deane Armstrong, born Apr.1896 in Iowa, aged 4 in 1900. Listed in 1910 as Charles D. Armstrong, aged 14.
- Carrie G. Armstrong, born May 1898 in Iowa, aged 2 in 1900 and 12 in 1910. As Geneva Armstrong, living with parents in 1920, aged 21.
- Inez Armstrong, born Apr. 1900 in Iowa, aged 1 month at the 1900 census. As Ines L. Armstrong listed in 1910 as aged 10. As Ingo Armstrong, living with parents in 1920 aged 19.
- Elizabeth Jane Armstrong, known as Eliza, was born in Ireland.
- Isabelle Armstrong, known as Belle, was born in Ireland.
- Robert Armstrong was born in Ireland in 1863. In 1900 Robert, born May 1863 in Ireland, aged 37, farm servant, immigrated to USA 1879, naturalized, lived next door to Adam in Eureka, Adair, Iowa. In 1910 recorded as born in 1867 in Ireland, aged 43, single, in Jackson, Adair County, Iowa, farmer, owned his farm freehold, with brother Thomas, next door to Adam. Robert Armstrong, born in 1867 in Ireland, aged 54, single, farmer, general farm, immigrated to USA 1885, was still living in Jackson, Adair County, Iowa, in 1920.
- Thomas Armstrong was born in Ireland in 1868. In 1900 Thomas Armstrong, born Jul. 1868 in Ireland, aged 31, lived at Eureka, Adair County, Iowa. He had immigrated in 1880, had lived in the USA 19 years and rented his farm. Thomas Armstrong, born in 1872 in Ireland, aged 38, lived in 1910 in Jackson, Adair County, Iowa, with brother Robert.
- Maud Armstrong was born in Ireland.
- Adam Armstrong was born in Ireland in 1872 (Lane Schwartz is his descendant). Adam Armstrong, son of James Armstrong and Isabella Earl (sic), aged 26, was married on Sep.19, 1898, in Adair, Iowa, to Abba D. Moon, born in 1882, aged 16, daughter of George Moon and Emma J. Morgan. In 1900 Adam Armstrong, born in Aug.1872 in Ireland, aged 27, immigrated to USA 1883, lived at Eureka, Adair County, Iowa, with his wife Abbie A. Armstrong, born Apr.1883 in Iowa, aged 17. In 1910 Adam was 38 and Abbie 27, and they were living at Jackson, Adair County, Iowa, with four children. Adam owned his farm freehold. In 1920 Adam, aged 49, and Abbie, aged 36, still lived at Jackson, with seven children. Adam died in 1929 (Source Carroll family tree, which gives his parents as James Armstrong and Isabelle Earls, daughter of James Earls). Children of Adam and Abbie Armstrong:
- Beulah Armstrong, born in Iowa, aged 9 in 1910
- Vernon Armstrong, born in Iowa, aged 7 in 1910 and 17 in 1920
- Edward Armstrong, born in Iowa, aged 4 in 1910 and 14 in 1920
- Edna Armstrong, born in Iowa, aged 3 in 1910 and 12 in 1920
- Velma Armstrong, born in Iowa, aged 8 in 1920
- Kenneth Armstrong, born in Iowa, aged 6 in 1920
- Alice Armstrong, born in Iowa, aged 3 and 11 months in 1920
- Irine Armstrong, born in Iowa, aged 2 and 11 months in 1920.
- Anne Earls who married George Moore, of full age, a bachelor and farmer of Breaghs (father: Robert Moore, farmer) on Aug.25, 1858, in the Parish Church of Tempo. Anne's residence is given as Ballyreagh, parish of Derrybrusk and her father as James Earls, farmer. Walker Rennick and William Noble were witnesses. Note that George Moore (perhaps the above George Moore's son?), a 26-year-old single farmer from Fermanagh, arrived in New York on Oct.2, 1905, on board the ``Columbia'' from Londonderry. He was bound for his sister, Lizzie Moore, 21 E. 38th Street, NY.
Last updated 7/28/11.
Christopher E. Brennen