BADGER FAMILY CHRONICLES© Christopher Earls Brennen
Datafile 9D. Woodburn Deaths
The first part of this section is a listing of some of the Woodburn deaths in various records. Details of some of these are included in the second part of this section.
First Name(s) Surname Area Year Ref. Ch. Emily Woodburn Limerick 1897 [d] * George Woodburn Londonderry 1947 [d] * [c] Emerald Ancestors Internet Records. [d] www.findagrave.com
The second part of this section contains details of some of the deaths listed above:
- Emily Woodburn, daughter of William J. Woodburn, died on Aug.16, 1897, and is buried in the graveyard of St. Mary's Cathedral, Limerick, Ireland.
- George Woodburn (Rev.), born on Sep.9, 1867, died on Jun.23, 1947, and is buried in Derry City Cemetery. He was a professor of Logic and Philosophy at Magee College (University), Derry, N. Ireland for 52 years during which time he also served as President. He was born at Islandmore Manse, Portrush in 1867. His father was Rev. Matthew Woodburn, eighth minister of Ballywillan Presbyterian Church, Portrush, Co. Antrim, N. Ireland. His brother was the famous Rev. Dr. James Barkley Woodburn, author and editor of ``The Ulster Scot''.
A listing of the abstracts of wills mostly taken from the PRONI website:
- The Will of William Woodburn late of Dundoan in the County of Londonderry Farmer deceased who died 4 June 1859 at Dundoan aforesaid was proved at Londonderry by the oaths of James Black junior of Craignahorn and William Black of Dundoan both in said County Farmers the Executors. Wife Mary, daughter Matilda married James Kennedy, sons Robert and William Kennedy.
- The Will of Robert Woodburn late of Limminary, County Antrim, Farmer deceased who died 12 January 1873 at same place was proved at Belfast by the oaths of Archibald Andrews and Robert Manson both of Liminary (Ballymena) aforesaid Farmers two of the Executors. He leaves his estate in equal shares to his children, Marget, William and David; he also leaves 15 shillings to his son Samuel if he ever comes home.
- The Will of William Woodburn late of Gortfad County Londonderry Farmer deceased who died 10 January 1873 at same place was proved at Londonderry by the oath of Robert Woodburn of the Mullan (Gortfad Garvagh) in said County Farmer one of the Executors. Money to nephew Robert Woodburn, and to children of late brother James Woodburn of Otway, British America.
- The Will of Mathew Woodburn late of Ballywillen County Londonderry Presbyterian Minister deceased who died 28 November 1877 at same place was proved at Londonderry by the oath of James Barkley of Maghera in said County Woollen Draper one of the Executors. Wife Elizabeth.
- Letters of Administration of the personal estate of Elizabeth Woodburn late of Maghera County Londonderry Widow who died 29 March 1885 at same place were granted at Londonderry to James Barkley of Maghera Merchant the Curator of the Minor Children.
- The Will of Agnes Woodburn late of Ballydevitt County Londonderry Widow who died 3 February 1891 at same place was proved at Londonderry by James T. Moon of Ballydevitt Esquire and James F. Glenn of Coleraine Auctioneer both in said County the Executors. Widow of the late George Woodburn leaves all to John Smyth, student at Dunedin University, New Zealand, son of her neice Mary Simpson formerly Mary Smyth daughter of her brother James Smyth. Leaves nothing to brother-in-law Richard Neill.
- The Will of George Woodburn late of Ballintemple County Londonderry Farmer who died 3 July 1891 at same place was proved at Londonderry by William Woodburn of Ballintemple and Robert Wilson of Dernagross both in said County Farmers the Executors.
- Administration of the estate of Annie Woodburn late of 469 Lisburn-road Belfast who died 14 February 1897 granted at Belfast to George Woodburn of 469 Lisburn-road Commercial Traveller the Husband
- Administration of the estate of Samuel Woodburn late of Coleraine County Londonderry Merchant who died 6 April 1897 granted at Londonderry to Isabella Woodburn of Coleraine the Widow
- Probate of the Will of Matthew Wood Woodburn late of Railway-place Coleraine County Londonderry Retired Grocer who died 26 January 1903 granted at Londonderry to Agnes W.Brewster Married Woman.
- Probate of the Will of George Woodburn late of Banna Cottage Balmoral County Antrim Retired Farmer who died 13 April 1907 granted at Belfast to Richard McCorry Commission Agent. Wife Mary, sons James, George and William (one pound each) and Matthew of Derry (five pounds), daughters Bella, Minnie, Annie and Martha.
- Probate of the Will of Sarah Jane Woodburn late of Carnaughts County Antrim Spinster who died 4 December 1910 granted at Belfast to The Reverend Archibald Holmes Reformed Presbyterian Minister.
- Administration of the Estate of Samuel Woodburn late of Cromkill County Antrim Farmer who died 3 May 1914 granted at Belfast to John Woodburn Farmer.
- David Woodburn of Crebilly county Antrim farmer died 13 March 1920 Probate Belfast 21 February to John Andrews farmer and Mary Woodburn spinster. Effects £2 10s.
- Emily Woodburn of Portrush county Antrim and of Mountsandel Coleraine county Londonderry spinster died 28 November 1924 at Londonderry Administration Londonderry 6 February to Martha Boyd Woodburn spinster. Effects £401 15s. 7d.
- Isobel Woodburn of Coleraine county Londonderry widow died 10 March 1925 Probate Belfast 7 May to Bessie Woodburn spinster. Effects £257 16s. 5d.
- George Woodburn of Mountsandel Coleraine county Londonderry gentleman died 13 November 1927 Probate Londonderry 16 February to James McGrath farmer and Frederick W. Young nurseryman. Effects £4393 2s. 3d.
- Annie Jane Woodburn of Mountsandel Coleraine county Londonderry spinster died 1 January 1929 Administration Londonderry 21 December to Martha Boyd Woodburn spinster. Effects £344.
- William Woodburn of Ballintemple county Londonderry farmer died 3 June 1930 Probate Londonderry 29 July to Robert John Wilson farmer. Effects £316 8s. 3d.
- Bessie Woodburn of Portstewart county Londonderry spinster died 21 March 1931 at Londonderry City and County Asylum Londonderry Administration W/A Londonderry 8 May to William James Gilmour gentleman. Effects £427 3s. 9d.
- Samuel Woodburn of Mountsandel Coleraine county Londonderry gentleman died 8 August 1934 Administration Londonderry 26 April to Martha Boyd Woodburn spinster. Effects £361 14s.
- Matthew Woodburn of 76 (formerly 55) Beechwood Avenue Londonderry retired manager died 13 June 1936 at Clarendon Nursing Home Londonderry Probate Londonderry 7 October to Lila Woodburn the widow. Effects £1287 3s. 2d.
- Robert Woodburn of High Road Portstewart county Londonderry retired farmer died 9 September 1938 Probate Belfast 28 November to Samuel McCandless business manager and Robert Michael farmer. Effects £873 7s. 4d.
- Jennie Woodburn of Crumkill Ballymena county Antrim spinster died 6 December 1939 Administration Belfast 27 February to John Woodburn farmer. Effects £211 19s. 8d.
- John Woodburn Miller of 53 Palmerston Road Belfast manufacturers agent died 5 May 1941 at Portaferry county Down Probate Belfast 24 December to Florence Annie Miller the widow. Effects £382 11s. 2d.
- John McClelland Woodburn of Cromkill county Antrim farmer died 13 December 1941 Probate Belfast 18 May to John Woodburn merchant and John Magee farmer. Effects £3070 3s. 8d.
- Elizabeth Brown Woodburn of 18 Bentinck Street Greenock died 12 April 1943 at Greenock Duplicate Probate Greenock 25 May to professor George Woodburn and reverend James Barkley Woodburn. Effects in Northern Ireland £1307 12s. Re-sealed Belfast 15 July.
First Garvagh Presbyterian Church, Old Graveyard (just east of town centre on right):
WOODBURN. Erected by George Woodburn of Garvagh in memory of his daughter MARY, died 15th May 1868 aged 2 years. His son ROBERT, died 22nd Nov. 1894 aged 18. Also the above George Woodburn died 13th Apr. 1907 aged 84 years. "Peace, Perfect Peace". Also his wife Mary died 12th May 1910. "He giveth his beloved sleep". Matthew Woodburn died 13th June 1936 aged 68 years. Lila Woodburn died 4th Dec. 1979 aged 100 years. Mary E.B. Woodburn died 10th March 1970 aged 57 years.
Last updated 3/5/04.
Christopher E. Brennen